I decided to try this recipe and see how it compares to others. I can't eat too much peanut brittle at one time, so I decided to halve the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Lightly toast peanuts in a small pan to bring out their flavor.
- 2Mix the peanuts with cinnamon and cayenne pepper by tossing a couple times in the medium bowl.
- 3A bit of spiciness in sweets helps to heighten the flavors and punch of the other spices (like the cinnamon in this case).
- 4This is a "trick" well known to chocolatiers and made famous by the movie Chocolat.
- 5Over on the stove, combine the water and sugar in a saucepan.
- 6I used a nonstick saucepan, but if you're using a traditional pan, then you'll want to rub the interior surface of the pan down with vegetable oil.
- 7Over medium-high heat, dissolve the sugar into the water and brought it to a boil.
- 8While the syrup was coming to a boil, prepare cookie sheet, non-stick or use parchment paper.
- 9When the sugar turns a light amber color (if you're using a candy thermometer, look for 350 degrees, you're ready to introduce the peanuts.
- 10Working quickly, use a wooden spoon to mix in the peanuts and spices.
- 11It's important to work fast (and sure) from this point on because the syrup is rapidly cooling.
- 12While you are stirring, the syrup will foam up, but the high sides of your saucepan will save you from a mess.
- 13After the peanuts have been stirred in, pour the syrup parchment paper.
- 14Syrup will flow out from the peanuts, so just use a wooden spoon to fold the excess sugar back onto the peanuts.
- 15As it thickens it won't flow anymore.
- 16At the same time, use the back of wooden spoon to press the peanuts down flat so you only have a single layer.
- 17After the brittle cooled (about thirty minutes), wrap it in plastic wrap and broke it into 1 1/2 to 2 inch pieces with hands.
- 18Placed them in a air tight container.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peanut Brittle
Serving Size: 1 (589 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 59.4
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 0.9 g