I saw Jamie Oliver make a version of this curry and knew I had to try it. I found this recipe on the net and adapted it to suit our taste. Check out Make Your Own Coconut Milk to make your own, fresh coconut milk. This is great served alongside a simple chicken or fish dish, or just served on its own, over jasmine rice, for a vegetarian dish (if you want it to be completely vegetarian, omit the fish sauce, but be prepared for a loss of flavour).
- 113.39 g dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
- 44.37 ml desiccated coconut, toasted (dried, grated coconut)
- 1 very ripe pineapple
- 14.79 ml walnuts or 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml curry powder (try to use a fresh blend)
- 2.46 ml sambal oelek (Indonesian chili paste)
- 354.88 ml coconut milk
- 29.58 ml fish sauce
- 9.85 ml brown sugar
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- Grind half the peanuts together with half the coconut and set aside.
- Peel and core the pineapple. Cut into 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch dice.
- Heat the oil in a wok; add the onion and cook until translucent; add the garlic, curry powder and sambal oelek; mix well.
- Add the pineapple, coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar and salt, to taste; simmer 5-8 minutes over medium heat, until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add the ground peanuts and coconut.
- Transfer to a heated platter; garnish with the remaining peanuts and the grated coconut.
Super easy! We found it to be a little bland so added lots more sambal oelek and served it with chili sauce on the side too. Over rice I thought it was quite filling and better as a main course than side dish. My husband said he wished it included pork or chicken. I explained that authentic African meals don't always incorporate meat, but he insisted that next time it needs some meat. Made for the Zaar World Tour.
Delightful! This is easy and wonderful - just the right amount of heat and plenty of flavor. I used worcestershire sauce instead of fish sauce and I used a bit more curry powder. This went well with Easy Indonesian Chicken. Thanks for posting!