Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I found the basic contents for this recipe in an old cookbook. I made some modifications to add flavor and reduce the sugar content.
- 1 cup roasted salted peanuts
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor, chop the peanuts coarsely, reserving 1/2 cup of chopped peanuts, leaving the remainder in the food processor.
- Add the brown sugar and butter and process until just mixed.
- Add the eggs, molasses and vanilla extract and process until smooth.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and salt and process until a smooth dough forms.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup of peanuts and oatmeal and using your hands, mix until well incorporated.
- Using an ice cream scoop (about 2 tablespoons), scoop mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart.
- If desired, press the tops gently using a fork.
- Bake in preheated 350 F for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Store in a large plastic container with cover.