This is a low glycemic index recipe, as far as I can tell, as that is how I eat. I think it should be suitable for diabetics, please someone let me know if it isn't. I didn't want to fry the meatballs as I wasn't feeling well, so I did something new for me and simmered them instead. They came out with a very nice texture, I hope it works for you as well. My so-particular husband took two helpings, which is a good sign.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 g pork mince (just under one pound)
- 1 cup kumara, cooked and mashed (or other starchy vegetable)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 800 g canned tomatoes (about 14 oz)
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup silver beet or 1 cup chard leaves, raw, chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chili pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (or less, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter, with no added sugar
- 1Mix pork mince, egg, kumera, soy sauce and rolled oats together in a bowl. Set aside.
- 2Heat oil in your largest, lidded, pot.
- 3Fry onion, garlic, ginger, and chili for about one minute.
- 4Add remaining ingredients except for the peanut butter and half of the salt so you can adjust later.
- 5Simmer this sauce for about 5 minutes.
- 6Use the pork mixture to make meatballs about the size of a small egg, and place them carefully on top of the simmering sauce. Use a spoon to make sure they all have some sauce poured over them.
- 7Simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes while checking and stirring very gently once or twice.
- 8Add peanut butter by using some of the sauce to thin it down before pouring it into the pot.
- 9Taste and add remaining salt if needed.
- 10Serve with salad.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peanut and Ginger Pork Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.2
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 124.8 mg
- Sodium 2149.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 25.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: