Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great vegetarian stew that's so hearty you won't miss the meat!! Love the flavors. Served over rice (I prefer brown) or just plain! The proportions of garlic and ginger are correct, but you can cut down if you like. I like to leave this chunky, but you can puree it to make it a smooth soup.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup minced ginger
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 -3 lbs winter squash, peeled, cubed (butternut or acorn)
- 1 quart vegetable juice
- 1 (20 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 medium bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- cooked rice
- In a large pot, heat olive oil.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger, pepper and squash.
- Sauté until ingredients start to soften.
- Add vegetable juice, tomatoes, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Simmer until squash is tender.
- Add cilantro and peanut butter and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. It should be the consistency of a thick stew.
- If you want a smooth soup, you can puree the stew in batches until smooth.
- For each serving, put a small portion of rice in a large bowl, and then add stew.