Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is definitely a kid (and husband) pleaser in my household!! I've taken a classic casserole and added a few extras to it. The only thing I would add, but can't is green beans. I have to serve them on the side, as my family doesn't like them mixed in.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (you can also use cream of celery or cream of chicken soup. I prefer mushroom)
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar and monterey jack combo)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (or to taste)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans (I leave these out and serve on the side)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- onion powder (to taste)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 (24 ounce) bag tater tots
- Brown the ground beef, onion, and garlic in a heavy skillet; drain off excess fat.
- Place the meat mixture back in the skillet and add the soups and a handful of the cheese. Once the cheese is melted, add the seasonings and sour cream.
- Place the heated mixture into a greased 9 X 13 inch pan. Top with remaining cheese. Place tator tots in rows on top of the cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until tator tots are golden brown (30 to 45 minutes).
- **I have also used mased potatoes instead of the tator tots**.
Hadn't had tater tot casserole for a couple of years, read through tons of recipes. I am so glad I chose this one! I did add just a splash of milk when I added the soup, and still used the amount of sour cream called for. I really liked that the cheese was not on top of the tater tots like in some other recipes. They were nice and crispy! Thanks we will use this one again. (And not wait years before doing so!)
I cut the recipe in half, used cream of mushroom soup and didnd't measure the cheese or sour cream, I just dumped it in. I also put my tator tots in the microwave for 5 minutes to thaw them and then crumbled them on top. I cooked at 350 for 20 minutes, then topped with a bit more cheese and let it melt. We all enjoyed this. I also served the green beans on the side.
This was a very tasty dish! Thanks for sharing. I added a stalk of finely chopped celery and green pepper when browning the onion and ground beef. I used one can cream of mushroom soup and one can of cream of chicken soup and some milk in with soup mix. (instead of the sour cream) I didn't add the green beans but added a can of corn. Very yummy! Give it try folks! Thanks for sharing!