Recipe by Mizz Sha-REE
This is definitely a kid (and husband) pleaser in my household!! I've taken a classic casserole and added a few extras to it. The only thing I would add, but can't is green beans. I have to serve them on the side, as my family doesn't like them mixed in.
Top Review by catmaniacs
Hadn't had tater tot casserole for a couple of years, read through tons of recipes. I am so glad I chose this one! I did add just a splash of milk when I added the soup, and still used the amount of sour cream called for. I really liked that the cheese was not on top of the tater tots like in some other recipes. They were nice and crispy! Thanks we will use this one again. (And not wait years before doing so!)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup (you can also use cream of celery or cream of chicken soup. I prefer mushroom)
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar and monterey jack combo)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (or to taste)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans (I leave these out and serve on the side)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- onion powder (to taste)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 (24 ounce) bag tater tots
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef, onion, and garlic in a heavy skillet; drain off excess fat.
- Place the meat mixture back in the skillet and add the soups and a handful of the cheese. Once the cheese is melted, add the seasonings and sour cream.
- Place the heated mixture into a greased 9 X 13 inch pan. Top with remaining cheese. Place tator tots in rows on top of the cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until tator tots are golden brown (30 to 45 minutes).
- **I have also used mased potatoes instead of the tator tots**.