Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a great flavor combo! Wonderful on toasted English Muffins!
- 5 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla beans, cut in half or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups pitted peeled and chopped peaches
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
- In a large bowl pour in sugar and add both sides of cut vanilla bean.
- Let stand for 48 hours, stirring now and again.
- In a large enamel or stainless steal pot combine peaches, lemon juice and pectin.
- Turn heat to high, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until a full rolling boil is reached.
- Add sugar and vanilla bean to pot.
- Return to a full rolling boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove vanilla bean.
- Ladle into clean hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
- If you would prefer skip part 1 with the vanilla bean, when you go to add the sugar add 1 t pure vanilla extract, omiting the vanilla bean step.
This was a very easy recipe. It is very sweet but thats how I like it. I am going to make this again this weekend so I'll have it this winter. Thanks for the recipe.
This is very good and I will make it again. I didn't want to wait 48 hrs. making vanilla sugar, so I just added the bean to the boiling ingredients with good result. I do however, find it overly sweet and think it would be good on vanilla ice-cream.
My wife and I made this 8/02, and it was wonderful. It is very sweet, maybe just a bit too sweet, but tasted very nice. It was easy to make (although we only used vanilla extract, skipping steps 1-3) and we will surely make and can this again.