Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from the Bear Flag Inn in downtown Sacramento that was served in the early 1990s. Delicious!
- 9 eggs
- 9 tablespoons peach preserves
- 2 1⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 loaves sweet French bread, cut 1/2-inch thick (approximately 18 slices)
- 4 peaches, peeled & sliced
- powdered sugar
- sliced almonds
- maple syrup
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup peach preserves
- Peachy French Toast.
- Make peach butter -- see instructions below.
- Slice freshly baked sweet French bread into 1/2" slices, approximately 18 pieces. Place single layers of bread in two 13 x 9 x 2 pans.
- In a bowl, beat 9 eggs and 9 tablespoons peach preserves with electric mixer to blend. Beat in half & half. Stir in 1 teaspoons vanilla until well mixed. Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover & refrigerate overnight or until liquid is absorbed.
- At serving time, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet or electric griddle. Add 2 or 3 bread slices & cook over medium-high heat until brown, turning once. Remove from skillet & keep warm. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
- To serve, top each slice of french toast with peach butter & fresh peaches. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and sliced almonds. Drizzle with maple syrup. (Thawed frozen peaches can be used in place of fresh peaches if not available. Also, peaches can be served on the side vs. on top of french toast, if preferred.).
- Peach Butter.
- In a small bowl, beat one cup peach preserves & 3/4 cup softened butter with electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Set aside in refrigerator.