Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A little different approach to the average fruit bar recipe. Good for lunchboxes. I have always cut them into bite-sized pieces too, just my preference.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3⁄4 cup peach preserves
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour till mixture is coarse and crumbly. Using a wooden spoon, add eggs one at a time, then the milk, stirring to make a soft dough.
- Spread dough into a greased 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch pan (depending on how thick you want your bars).
- Spread preserves over dough and set pan aside.
- To prepare topping: mix the sugar and the butter in a bowl. Add the coconut and toss to coat. Spread over the preserves and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Cool and cut into bars. Pack airtight.
I made this yesterday and took it to family cookout. veryone loved it! I accidentally bought apricot preserves instead of peach but it still worked well. The only problem was the topping didn't quite make enough to cover the whole bars so I had to make extra of that. I got 20 bars out the recipe and it was easy to make!