Use Aunt Pittypat's Caramel Icing to cover this cake. This recipe comes from the "Gone With The Wind Cook Book - Famous Southern Cooking Recipes". There is a note in the foreward which I love: "Gone With The Wind told of a style of living. as well as a romantic drama, A way of living, playing, and eating that thrilled us all." You can make this as 1 cake, or as 24 cupcakes.
- Sift flour, soda, spices and salt together.
- Cream the butter; gradually add sugar. Cream well.
- Add beaten egg and the molasses; blend thoroughly.
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients alternating with hot water.
- Beat until smooth after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 9"x9" shallow pan, and bake at 180C for 45-50 minutes.
- Pour into greased and floured cup cake pans and bake at 190C for 20-30 minutes.