Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Use Aunt Pittypat's Caramel Icing to cover this cake. This recipe comes from the "Gone With The Wind Cook Book - Famous Southern Cooking Recipes". There is a note in the foreward which I love: "Gone With The Wind told of a style of living. as well as a romantic drama, A way of living, playing, and eating that thrilled us all." You can make this as 1 cake, or as 24 cupcakes.
- 591.47 ml cake flour, sifted
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ginger
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 236.59 ml molasses
- 236.59 ml hot water
- Sift flour, soda, spices and salt together.
- Cream the butter; gradually add sugar. Cream well.
- Add beaten egg and the molasses; blend thoroughly.
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients alternating with hot water.
- Beat until smooth after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 9"x9" shallow pan, and bake at 180C for 45-50 minutes.
- Pour into greased and floured cup cake pans and bake at 190C for 20-30 minutes.