Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
One of my husband's family recipes, a French staple in the summer in peach season. Minimum of 6 hours refrigeration. No cooking at all!!
- Peel the peaches--to do it easily, boil them for about 10 seconds, then peel off the skin.
- Slice them.
- Put the peeled, sliced peaches in a bowl, add about half a bottle of red wine to cover.
- The type of wine isn't so important, but it has to be decent and drinkable.
- I used a 3 dollar bottle of Cotes du Rhone yesterday.
- Pour in the sugar and stir.
- Must sit for 6 hours in the fridge, minimum.
- Serve in pretty glasses or dishes.
- If you feel you need something else to go with it, try some kind of crunchy cookie or macaroon.
Amount of marinating depends on the type of wine and the ripeness of the peaches you use. I merely plunked my VERY ripe, peaches into wine glasses, poured over a nice pinot noir and let sit till chilled through (an hour or so?), then sprinkled a bit of demera sugar on top. Lovely on a hot evening.
This was a good recipe. Not recommended for children. The combination was a little strange but, after sitting it was great. My only change would be to recommend marinating for at least 24 hours refrigerated.