Recipe by Barb G.
This is a variation of the classic New Orleans dessert Bananas Foster. You can use any Ice cream, Premium vanilla or butter pecan ice cream is suggested. Peaches can be made 2 hours ahead and reheated to serve over ice cream.
- 4 large ripe peaches
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dark rum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped toasted pecans, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Have ready a large bowl of ice and cold water; Bring a 6-quart pot three-fourths full of water to a boil, then gently drop peaches gently into water and cook 15 minutes, Transfer with slotted spoon to ice water and cool completely to stop cooking.
- Remove skin with a paring knife and cut peaches into 1/2-inch thick wedges, discarding pits.
- Melt butter in a 10-to 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, then stir in brown sugar, rum, cinnamon, and salt until smooth.
- Add peaches and simmer, stirring and turning peaches over occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cool until warm and serve over scoops of ice cream. Garnish with toasted pecans.