Make and share this Peaches and Cream Shortcakes With Cornmeal-Orange Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml orange zest
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml yellow cornmeal
- 44.37 ml packed golden brown sugar
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 158.51 ml whole milk (or more)
- 907.18 g peaches, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml chilled whipping cream
- 44.37 ml powdered sugar
- For biscuits: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar and orange peel in small bowl, mashing peel with back of spoon until mixture is pale orange.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
- Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture forms coarse meal.
- Add 2/3 cup milk; stir with fork until dough is evenly moistened, adding more milk by tablespoonfuls if dry.
- Drop dough by 1/3 cupfuls onto prepared sheet, forming 8 mounds and spacing 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Using fingertips, flatten each biscuit to 2-inch round.
- Sprinkle with orange sugar.
- Bake biscuits until golden brown and tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes; transfer to rack.
- (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cool completely. Store airtight at room temperature.) For filling: Toss peaches, 1/3 cup sugar, and vanilla in large bowl; let stand 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream and sugar in medium bowl until peaks form.
- Using serrated knife, cut each biscuit horizontally in half.
- Place bottom halves on plates.
- Spoon peaches and their juices onto each biscuit.
- Top with whipped cream and biscuit tops.