1/1 Photo of Peaches and Cream Shortcakes With Cornmeal-Orange Biscuits
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2/3 cup whole milk (or more)
- 1For biscuits: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3Mix 1/4 cup sugar and orange peel in small bowl, mashing peel with back of spoon until mixture is pale orange.
- 4Whisk flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
- 5Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture forms coarse meal.
- 6Add 2/3 cup milk; stir with fork until dough is evenly moistened, adding more milk by tablespoonfuls if dry.
- 7Drop dough by 1/3 cupfuls onto prepared sheet, forming 8 mounds and spacing 1 1/2 inches apart.
- 8Using fingertips, flatten each biscuit to 2-inch round.
- 9Sprinkle with orange sugar.
- 10Bake biscuits until golden brown and tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes; transfer to rack.
- 11(Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cool completely. Store airtight at room temperature.) For filling: Toss peaches, 1/3 cup sugar, and vanilla in large bowl; let stand 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- 12Using electric mixer, beat cream and sugar in medium bowl until peaks form.
- 13Using serrated knife, cut each biscuit horizontally in half.
- 14Place bottom halves on plates.
- 15Spoon peaches and their juices onto each biscuit.
- 16Top with whipped cream and biscuit tops.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peaches and Cream Shortcakes With Cornmeal-Orange Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.6
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 73.2 mg
- Sodium 307.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 33.2 g
- Protein 5.4 g