Make and share this Peaches and Cream Shortcakes With Cornmeal-Orange Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk (or more)
- 2 lbs peaches, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- For biscuits: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar and orange peel in small bowl, mashing peel with back of spoon until mixture is pale orange.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
- Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture forms coarse meal.
- Add 2/3 cup milk; stir with fork until dough is evenly moistened, adding more milk by tablespoonfuls if dry.
- Drop dough by 1/3 cupfuls onto prepared sheet, forming 8 mounds and spacing 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Using fingertips, flatten each biscuit to 2-inch round.
- Sprinkle with orange sugar.
- Bake biscuits until golden brown and tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes; transfer to rack.
- (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cool completely. Store airtight at room temperature.) For filling: Toss peaches, 1/3 cup sugar, and vanilla in large bowl; let stand 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream and sugar in medium bowl until peaks form.
- Using serrated knife, cut each biscuit horizontally in half.
- Place bottom halves on plates.
- Spoon peaches and their juices onto each biscuit.
- Top with whipped cream and biscuit tops.
I served this to company after a informal dinner party. It was very delicious and allowed me to spend more time with my guests because I could make so much of it ahead of time. The flavors melded very well, and the slight crunch of the biscuits complimented the macerated peaches. I did add 1oz of brandy to the peaches.