Prep 1 hr
Cook 48 hrs
A holiday favorite with my family for 22 years now - I actually won 1st place in the one and only cooking contest I entered years ago. Can be used as a side or dessert. I make it over 2 days, and it is well worth the time and effort! Actual hands-on cook time has been estimated since I really haven't paid attention to it ... I'm usually working on other food items simultaneously.
- 1 (3 ounce) package peach gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 3 cups peaches, sliced
- 1 small banana, sliced (place slices in lemon juice to prevent browning)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 8 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup peach puree
- Dissolve peach gelatin in 1 cup boiling water; stirring until dissolved. Add cold water and mix well. Chill until it reaches the consistency of an unbeaten egg white.
- Stir in sliced peaches and banana. Pour mixture in to a lightly oiled 8-cup mold (I use a bunt pan). Chill until set. (This is where I usually let it set overnight, then resume the following the next day).
- Soften unflavored gelatin in 3 tablespoons cold water. Scald half and half, then stir in to softened gelatin. Beat cream cheese with electric mixer. Add whipping cream, sugar, and pureed peaches; mix well. Add to gelatin mixture and stir well. Pour over peach and banana layer; chill at least 8 hours or until firm. (I like to leave it in the mold a 2nd night, although it is not imperative).
- Dip mold in warm water to loosen the salad from the sides. Invert on to a serving plate, perhaps on top of a bed of lettuce for a nice presentation. Decorate with stemmed parsley, pecan halves, whole cranberries - make it your own masterpiece!
- Be sure to refrigerate until ready to serve.