Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This pie must be chilled before serving. This is not a custard pie. The filling will look liquidy when the pie comes out of the oven. Don't bake the pie longer in hopes that the filling will firm up--the thickening occurs as the pie cools. Alternative pie pastry to use--an all-butter pie pastry or cream cheese pastry
- 1 (9 1/2 inch) basic flaky deep dish pie shells (deep dish single crust)
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups peeled peeled pitted and sliced ripe peaches (or one 1-lb. bag frozen sliced peaches partially thawed)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- salt (a big pinch)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place prepared unbaked pie pastry shell in the freezer for 15 minutes; preheat oven to 400°.
- Distribute peach slices evenly in the chilled pie shell.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla; whisk to blend.
- Slowly pour the cream over the peaches.
- Use a fork, if needed, to rearrange the peach slices evenly in the shell.
- Place the pie on the center oven rack; bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and lower the temperature to 350°.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the pie; then return pie to oven, placing it so that the part that faced the back of the oven now faces forward.
- Bake about 15-20 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the top is caramel-colored (the filling will still be liquidy).
- Transfer pie to a wire rack; let cool thoroughly.
- Cover loosely with tented aluminum and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.