Recipe by Nonnie4Two
This was concocted after searching for something sweet to use up extra phyllo sheets. I couldn't find what I wanted, so I took bits and pieces from multiple recipes and came up with this. I think any pie filling would work wonderfully. The recipe has been updated with correct amounts.
Top Review by RigelBee
Okie-Dokie! This TASTED wonderful, but I will make some adjustments next time! First of all, I used 1/2 cup hazelnuts instead of cashews; and the sugar/cinnamon/nut mixture made enough to put together 3 or 4 of these rolls! Same for the cream cheese mixture - it was enough for multiple desserts. I used one can of peach slices in 100% juice, but I drained them and cut the peach slices into small bits. Instead of butter, I used canola /olive oil spray. It was a real challenge trying to roll this up because there was just too much stuff inside! I did the best I could.... When it came out of the oven, it smelled wonderful. I let it cool slightly before slicing, and served it with a scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt. It really was loved by all who ate it! However, NEXT time... I will at least reduce the nut mixture and cream cheese mixture by half! YUM! Thanks Nonnie! You concocted a wonderful dessert!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup cashews
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 (21 ounce) can peach pie filling
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop cashews in food processor. Add brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Process to combine; set aside.
- Mix cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and egg yolk together; set aside.
- Brush one sheet of phyllo with butter; top with second sheet and butter that also. Sprinkle with a little of of cashew mixture. Add another layer of phyllo and repeat until you have used a total of six sheets. Start a second stack of phyllo dough, repeating steps listed above. Keep approximately 1/2 cup of the cashew mixture in reserve.
- Spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the center of one stack of phyllo dough, keeping an inch on either side clear. Top with half of the peach filling, and sprinkle with a quarter of remaining cashew mixture; repeat with the second stack of phyllo dough.
- Starting with the long ends, roll the phyllo into logs, tucking ends under.
- Place seam side down on baking pan, brush liberally with remaining butter, top with remaining cashew mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes at 375º or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream on top.