Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
It's amazing how something this easy to make can taste so good --- this is like a pineapple upside down cake only it's made with peaches!
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned peach slices, drained
- 6 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1⁄3 cup Crisco shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread 1/4 cup butter onto bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan, and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Arrange canned peaches and cherries on top of the brown sugar.
- In a bowl, cream the shortening and sugar and rind until well blended; add the egg, and beat well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together; add to the creamed mixture, alternately with the orange juice.
- Pour evenly and carefully over peaches.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert (turn over) onto serving plate, and remove cake from pan.
Yum! Yum! Yum! I used fresh peaches and it was gone in a flash! GREAT cake.
Lovely Peach Upside Down Cake. Liked the hint of orange flavor in it. Very moist and was very easy to make. Dh liked the maraschino cherries in it. Thanks for posting this recipe.
I just made this for a friend's birthday party tomorrow, I haven't tasted it yet, but it is looking great and smells heavenly!! It has to be delicious! I omitted the cherries and used fresh sweet ripe peaches! Beautiful!!