Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is a fast and easy way to get a great upside down cake on the table in short order with ingredients you may already have on hand. It is a pretty presentation and a great addition to any occasion from birthdays, to tea parties, to parties, to luncheons, to summer bbqs and so many more. A perfect way to use fresh peaches when those are plentiful. This recipe comes from Janette Suber. Our family enjoys this cake with its ooey gooey top of carmelized peaches atop soft, moist cake. Enjoy! ChefDLH
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 12 teaspoons salted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 -6 ripe peaches (peeled and sliced)
- 1 yellow cake mix, set aside (mix as directed on box)
- oil, water, eggs per cake mix direction
- Gather 9x13 baking pan ( or your choice of pan), medium sized non-stick sauce pan, mixing bowl,
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan, or whatever dish you are using, with non-stick baking spray.
- In medium size non-stick sauce pan melt butter, add brown sugar, peaches, spices and vanilla extract. Bring to a rolling boil for about 2-3 minutes, then reduce heat and let slow simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- In separate mixing bowl, mix up cake batter. Mix as directed on the box. Adding oil, water and eggs as directed.
- Pour the peach mixture in bottom of the baking pan, then pour cake batter on top, making sure to start spreading batter around outer edges of the pan and pouring towards the center. Fill any empty spaces with remaining batter. You want to be sure that all of the peaches/sauce mixture stays under the batter, not on top.
- Place in preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 30-45 minutes depending on the humidity or moisture in the air. Test to see if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cake.
- Cool cake a bit . Flip the cake onto a plate that is larger than your cake carefully not allowing any of the glaze to come out the sides. Once flipped, you can either serve it warm with some ice-cream and a cup of coffee or you can just save it for a breakfast snack.