This recipe is an old standby that is so easy and so good. You can also make this with can peaches. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 6 maraschino cherries, cut in half
- 6 peaches, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (180 ml)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Topping: Soften butter in bottom of oiled 8 inch round pan. Add brown sugar and blend well. Place cherries so peach halves will fit on top. Press peach cut side down into mixture.
- Batter. Cream together the butter,almond flavouring and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until smooth;set aside. Mix flour,salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the creamed butter mixture beating well between additions. Pour batter over peach slices in cake pan.
- Bake for 40 tminutes. Cake is done when a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and invert onto a serving plate.