Recipe by Idaho Recipe Thief
Tapioca...love it! Peaches...my favorite fruit! Combine them and it becomes something divine! Beautiful and delicious for brunch or as a dessert.
For the tapioca
- 1⁄2 cup small-pearl tapioca
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly eaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
For the filling
- 1 1⁄2 lbs peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- sliced almonds, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the tapioca:.
- Place the tapioca pearls in a container large enough to accommodate the soaking water as well; add enough water to cover the tapioca by about 3 inches. Refrigerate and soak overnight.
- Drain the tapioca, discarding the water.
- Whisk the tapioca together with the milk, salt, sugar and egg in a large saucepan. Place the pot over medium heat and cook for about 15 minutes, whisking constantly, to form a thickened pudding. Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours, until fully set and chilled.
- For the filling:.
- Combine the peaches, sugar and 1/4 cup of the water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring, until the fruit has softened to your liking.
- Mix together the remaining 2 Tbsp of water and the cornstarch, stirring until the cornstarch has dissolved. Add to the fruit and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and almond extracts. Taste, and add sugar as needed. Refrigerate until well chilled.
- To serve:.
- Line up small dessert cups or bowls. Distribute half of the tapioca pudding evenly among the bowls, then use about half of the peach filling to create a second layer in each of the portions. Use the remaining tapioca for a third layer, then top with the filling. Garnish with sliced almonds and serve immediately.