These muffins are delicious with fresh summer peaches. If you use frozen peaches, make sure to thaw them and drain any liquid before chopping.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh peeled peaches (may use frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chilled butter or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- Using and electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy.
- Gradually add in 1/3 cup sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and beat until well blended.
- In a bowl, mix together the 2 1/3 cups flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to batter; stir after each addition.
- Add in vanilla; stir to combine.
- Gently fold in peaches.
- Grease muffin tin; spoon batter into muffin cups until 2/3 full.
- In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon; stir to combine.
- With a pastry blender, cut in chilled butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over muffin batter.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Turn muffins out of pan and cool on wire rack.