Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yum yum, peaches
- 4 ripe peaches
- 1 tablespoon kirsch (optional) or 1 tablespoon peach schnapps (optional)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, plus more
- granulated sugar, for sprinkling tops
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more
- unsalted butter, for sheet
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk, plus more for brushing tops or 1⁄4 cup cream, plus more
- milk or cream, for brushing tops
- 1 cup heavy cream, for whipping
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Slice peaches; sprinkle with kirsch or schnapps, if desired, and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the rest of the dry ingredients. Add butter; process with on-off pulses until mixture resembles coarse meal. While pulsing, slowly add enough milk until dough just comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured board, and knead once or twice. Pat into a 3/4-inch-thick square. Trim edges, and cut into four squares. Brush with additional cream or milk; sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a lightly buttered baking sheet; bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer cakes to a wire rack, and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream: In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form; set aside. Split cakes horizontally. Place bottom halves on dessert plates, and top with peaches and vanilla whipped cream. Cover with top halves of shortcakes, and serve.