Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Too many peaches? Put them up in this unusual, spicy salsa.
- 1419.54 ml prepared peaches (about 12 medium or 3 lb)
- 295.73 ml chopped red onions
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 118.29 ml loosely packed finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 118.29 ml white vinegar
- 29.58 ml honey
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- Blanch, peel, pit and chop peaches.
- Measure 6 cups.
- Combine peaches, onion, peppers, cilantro, vinegar, honey, garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- Boil gently, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
- If bottling, process in usual way, processing for a further 10 minutes.
- This will make approximately 4 pints of Salsa.
This is wonderful salsa, I used only 8 peaches and reduced all other ingredients just slightly, I only plan to refrigerate this, but I am thinking about making it again to process, it is really good! thanks Ev!...Kitten:)
My roommates and I LOVED this salsa. Now I'm going to make it for a party. We found the 4 jalepeno peppers to make for a quite spicy salsa. If you're feeding this to people who prefer mild to medium, I would suggest cutting the jalepenos to 2 (my plan is to use 2 for the party salsa I'm making). I've made peach salsa before but this is the first time I've cooked it and the cooking makes all the difference! Just make sure you make it long enough in advance that it has time to cool in the fridge. I don't know how long this salsa will last if it isn't processed (and I don't know how to process it), but that hasn't been a problem so far since we eat it all so quickly.
We have peach trees here in Wisconsin believe it or not. We love salsa and this salsa is delicious and easy. First time I've canned a fruit salsa and it turned out beautifully. Next time I will use all 4 jalapenos but was a little afraid it might have too much bite. Tomorrow I'll be making another batch but I'm going to double it. It's going to be great for the start of football season. Go Packers!