Recipe by Galley Wench
Recipe from the Hyde Park Bar & Grill in Austin. Courtesy of Bon Appetit. As this bakes the fruit will sink to the bottom of the pan.
- non-stick vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄8 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups peaches, peeled and sliced (about 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- sweetened whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 13 x 9 x 2 inch glass baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Beat in vanilla, then eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition.
- Using low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in three additions each, beating well between each addition.
- Transfer batter to baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Arrange peach slices over batter, overlapping slightly as needed.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon cinnamon with 1 tablespoon sugar and sprinkle over top of peches.
- Spray sheet of foil with vegetable oil spray; cover cake with foil (spray side down), and seal at edges.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Remove foil (some cake may stick).
- Bake until top is golden; edges are crusty, and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes longer.
- Cool 1 hour.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.