Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
This is the recipe my mom uses. She has two large peach trees in her yard that always yield the juiciest, sweetest peaches.
- Add the peaches and sugar in a large shallow glass container; cover and keep in a cool place for 12-18 hours.
- Transfer peach mixture to a large pot; bring to a boil slowly; stirring often.
- Boil gently until peaches become transparent and the syrup thickens (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours), stirring often to keep from sticking.
- Skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Immediately ladle preserves into hot sterilzed jars; leave 1/4 inch headspace.
- Cover with lids and screw on the bands tightly.
- Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
Yum, yum!! Peach Preserves are supposed to be sweet and these were good; however, I did change the recipe slightly. I doubled the amount of peaches and just couldn't bring myself to dump 12 cups of sugar on top of them, so I only used 9. They turned out perfectly and reminded me of my mom's recipe.
YUMMY, This came out wonderful, as for the sweetness, I just added 2 more cups of peaches and bingo. the right level for me.. This recipe is easy to adjust to suite your taste...1 out of the two cups of peaches were semi ripe so the tartness balanced it out. NOT A BIG DEAL.. Great recipe and easy.