1/2 Photos of Peach Preserves
Luby Luby Luby's Note:
I found this recipe on the internet and did a bit of tweaking. The original recipe called for 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. I made one batch with the nutmeg and vanilla and one batch omitting the nutmeg and switching to almond extract instead of vanilla . I prefer it without the nutmeg and using almond over vanilla hence this is how I posted the recipe. The nutmeg version is very good, but I just think personal preference comes into play here. Also, once your peaches are peeled and diced if they have a lot of juice you might want to drain about half of the juice in order to get a firmer "set".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large stockpot combine the peaches with the lemon juice and 2 cups of the sugar.
- 2Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 3When starting to cook peaches prepare water bath canner and sterilize jars by boiling for 10 minutes.
- 4Leave jars in hot water covered until ready to use.
- 5Add lids to a small saucepan and pour boiling water over (do not boil lids) and leave in hot water until ready to use.
- 6Add remaining sugar, cinnamon and butter and heat uncovered over medium heat stirring often until sugar is dissolved.
- 7Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 8Increase heat to high, add pectin and bring to a full rolling boil (continues to boil while stirring).
- 9Boil for 1 minute then remove from heat and skim off excess foam.
- 10Add almond extract and let mixture cool for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 11Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4" headspace.
- 12Wipe rims clean and place seals on jars.
- 13Screw on bands just to finger tight.
- 14Place jars in water bath canner making sure you have 1-2 inches of water covering tops of jars.
- 15Cover, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. (adjust for high altitude, if necessary).
- 16Turn off fire, remove lid and let sit for 5 minutes.
- 17Remove and let sit undisturbed until sealed and cooled.
- 18Check to make sure lids have sealed and store in cool dry area.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peach Preserves
Serving Size: 1 (1728 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.8
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 6.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 123.5 g
- Protein 1.0 g