Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 cups drained peaches, pulp procedure below
- 2 cups drained unsweetened crushed canned pineapple
- 1⁄4 cup bottled lemon juice
- 2 cups sugar (optional)
- This recipe may be made with any combination of peaches, nectarines, apricots and plums.
- This recipe may also be made without sugar or with as little as 2 cups.
- Nonnutritive sweeteners may be added; however, the sweetening power of aspartame may be lost within 3 to 4 weeks.
- Thoroughly wash 4 to 6 pounds of firm, ripe peaches.
- Drain well.
- Peel and remove pits.
- Grind fruit flesh with a medium or coarse blade, or crush with a fork (do not use a blender).
- Place ground or crushed fruit in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Heat slowly to release juice, stirring constantly, until fruit is tender.
- Place cooked fruit in a jelly bag or strainer lined with four layers of cheesecloth.
- Allow juice to drip about l5 minutes.
- Save the juice for jelly or other uses.
- Measure 4 cups of drained fruit pulp for making spread.
- Combine the 4 cups of pulp, pineapple, and lemon juice in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Add up to 2 cups of sugar, if desired, and mix well.
- Heat and boil gently for l0 to l5 minutes, stirring enough to prevent sticking.
- Fill hot jars quickly, leaving l/4-inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.