Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is SO yummy! The nice touch of the maraschino cherries gives it a nice taste and makes the jam pretty as well. This looks wonderful in gift baskets!
- 3 cups peaches, chopped fine (about 2.5 lbs)
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) package pectin (MCP brand)
- 5 1⁄2 cups sugar
- In a large kettle, combine peaches that have been washed, peeled, pitted and chopped with pineapple, lemon juice and cherries.
- Add pectin and mix together.
- Over medium high heat, bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Add the sugar all at once, mix well and return to a full rolling boil, adding 1/2 tsp butter if needed to reduce foaming.
- When it reaches the full rolling boil, boil for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and continue to stir for a couple minutes. If need be, skim foam off the top. Pour into hot jars.
- If needed wipe edge of jars and then put lids and rings on. Get them as tight as you can by hand and turn upside down. Set timer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn right side up and let sit in an area free from drafts until cooled.
- If desired you can water process. Either way if the jar does not seal, put it in the fridge and use it first.
Outstanding is all I can say! I didn't add the cherries as I wanted to keep the peach colour. I tasted it afterwards and wow.....I can't wait to put this on a scone or bagel ! Yummy for the tummy! This will definitely be a keeper !
Made as directed but used water bath method and processed for 10 minutes. Very good and pretty in the jars.
I'm going to make this really soon. The ONLY way to make sure the lids seal and everything is right is to waterbath jam. I would NEVER EVER just turn the jar upside down and think this is a safe way to seal the jars.