Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
I just liked the combination and then added orange jello to the mix.This is a nice jam to prepare in half pint jars for gifts.This takes time to set up.
- 8 cups of chopped fresh peaches, blanched, skinned, pitted and chopped or 8 cups canned peaches, chopped with the juice
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice (this is for canned pineapple, not fresh)
- 2 (6 ounce) packages orange Jell-O
- 2 (1 3/4 ounce) packages Sure-Jell
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped maraschino cherry (optional)
- Wash jars, place in 9X13 metal pan upside down with two cups of water in pan.Heat oven to 225*. Put pan in oven. Place seals in a saucepan, heat on low, seals should be hot.
- In large stockpot, add 8 cups of chopped fresh peaches with any juice, or canned chopped peaches with juice.
- Measure crushed pineapple and juice.
- Add enough water to measure 3 1/2 cups.
- Add to stockpot.
- Add orange jello pkgs and sure-jell.
- Add margarine or butter.
- Stir with a wooden spoon to mix.
- Add 2 cups water.
- Heat to a boil.
- Add sugar all at once.
- Stir constantly so it does not scorch. Boil for one full minute, a rolling boil that you cannot stir down.
- Take off heat.
- Skim off foam.
- Add maraschino cherries if desired. Stir.
- Fill jars, 1/4 inch head room. Wipe the neck edge and top of each filled jar with damp clean cloth, seal and tighten with ring.
- Have a canner ready to place jars in hot water bath for 10 minutes. Take out with tongs and place on towel padded counter.
- You will hear a pop and the seal will be dented in when sealed.
- 12-15 1/2 pint jars with seals and rings.
- Remember thuis takes time to seal, it is hot when it comes out of the canner so let it cool. If not set up overnight, use the recipe Liquid Cement #151544. It is not mine but hats off to cook who make it, it works!
It didn't jell, made tons more that it said. I wasted beautiful SC peaches. I should have stayed with my first instincts that the jello thing sounded fishy. So I have a PILE of jello salad in canning jars. ho ho ho..