Recipe by internetnut
I have not tried this recipe. I got the recipe from USA Weekend magazine. You can find powder-fine potato starch or potato flour in the kosher or health food aisle. The recipe is by Pam Anderson. She useually has a pound of butter and a couple of shortening sticks in the freezer, which means she can start making a pie at a moment's notice.
- 6 cups peeled and sliced ripe fresh peaches (about 6 large or 11 medium, totaling 3 pounds)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (plus additional 1 1/2 tbl for finishing crust)
- 3 tablespoons potato starch or 3 tablespoons potato flour or 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg white, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the peaches in a large colander.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar and let stand until almost 1/2 cup juice is released, about 30 minutes.
- Mix 3/4 cup sugar with potato starch and salt.
- Add to peaches, along with almond extract; toss to combine.
- Pour filling into crust. Add the filling to a pie shell and dot with butter.
- Top filling with another crust and bake the pie for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, brush with beaten egg white, sprinkle with 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes longer.
- Bake until filling bubbles, 15-20 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack, 2-3 hours.