1/1 Photo of Peach Pie Filling
1 hr 10 mins
Charlotte J's Note:
Clear Jel is a modified food starch (powdered form) that will not break down in high heat during processing. DON'T SUBSTITUTE!! Clear Jell is well worth the effort, it leaves a cleaner and thicker filling that is simply delicious. Kitchencraft (1-800-776-0575) in Waterville, IA sells it by the 1# ($3.25 + S&H) or 5# bags. Also sold by Bakers Catalog (King Arthur Flour) and also at http://www.homecanningsupply.com/. Oh, now that about does it, Amazon.com even sells the stuff!
My Private Note
quart j ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash peaches or nectarines, peel peaches and cut fruit into 1/2 inch slices.
- 2To prevent darkening, place fruit in ascorbic acid solution (this can be found right next to the canning supplies in your local stores, it's in a small green canister); drain well. Measure 24 cups fruit. Set aside.
- 3In a 8-quart dutch oven or pot heat about 6 cups water to boiling.
- 4Add 6 cups peach slices; return to boiling. Boil for 1 minute.
- 5Using a slotted spoon, transfer peaches to a large bowl; cover.
- 6Repeat with remaining fruit, 6 cups at a time.
- 7Drain water from the pot.
- 8In same pot combine sugar, Clear Jell, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir in the 4 1/2 cups water.
- 9Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to boil.
- 10Add the lemon juice; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 11Stir in the almond extract.
- 12Immediately add fruit, stirring gently to coat.
- 13Heat for three minutes.
- 14Spoon hot fruit mixture into hot, clean, sterile quart size canning jars, leaving 1-inch headspace.
- 15Remove air bubbles, wipe jar rims, and adjust lids.
- 16Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 30 minutes.
- 17Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.
- 18Makes 6 quarts (enough for 6 pies).
- 19To use pie filling: Spoon 1 quart filling into a pastry lined 9-inch pie pan. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Cut slits in top crust; adjust top crust. Seal and flute edges. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes; remove foil. Bake 25-30 minutes more or until pastry is golden.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peach Pie Filling
Serving Size: 1 (5464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1160.7
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 297.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 285.8 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: