Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A recipe from Rachael Ray. Something that would be great as breakfast.
- 4 peaches, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 1/4 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F In a large bowl, combine the peaches, 2 teaspoons sugar and the lemon juice. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder and salt. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Measure out 1 1/2 tablespoons cream and set aside; stir the remaining cream into the flour mixture until just combined, then gently fold in the peach mixture and any juices.
- On a lightly floured work surface, pat the dough into a 6-by-9-inch rectangle. Using a 3-inch round cookied cutter, cut out 6 rounds; combine the scraps and cut out 2 more rounds. Transfer the rounds to a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Brush with the reserved cream and top with the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake the rounds until golden-brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet.
Mine turned out more like pancakes then pattycakes. My dough was also very wet and not rollable. I coated them with peach syrup and ate them for breakfast. The really great thing is that they hold together like a cake or cookie so my 15 month old could hold one in her hand and eat it. I will make these again because they tasted great.
A very interesting recipe Boomie. The (biscuits/shortcake/scones) had a beautiful flavor and texture, but like the others I had trouble rolling and shaping the pattycakes, hence no pictures. The cake was light and fluffy with peices of peaches...yummy. I served with a little icing sugar, cinnamon and whipped cream. Thanks for sharing this treat.
This is a tasty recipe, and I agree with Galley Wench, it is in the same zone as a biscuit, or a scone. My peaches were very very juicy, so I think I had more than the intended amount of liquid, but I added it anyway. The resulting batter was not roll-able, so I just scooped it onto baking trays, and baked as cookies. I also sprinkled a bit of cinnamon sugar on the top of each. I love that these are not overly sweet. I will be packing them this week as kids' lunch box treats. Thanks, Boomette!