Recipe by Lennie
This is absolutely delicious served on toast. Makes lots so you'll have plenty for gifts.
- 3 large oranges (or 4 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind, , fresh not dried
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 10 cups finely chopped, peeled peaches (, , about 12 large)
- 9 cups white sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) bottle maraschino cherries
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash oranges and slice very thinly, discarding seeds.
- Cut slices into quarters.
- Or, if you want to use your food processor, grind the oranges using the steel blade.
- Place oranges in a large heavy saucepan with the water and simmer, covered, over low heat until clear and soft-- about 30 minutes.
- Add lemon rind, lemon juice, peaches and sugar.
- Drain the cherry juice from the bottle and add to pot.
- Stir well.
- Cut cherries in half and set aside.
- Over high heat, bring peach mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, at a brisk simmer until the mixture thickens and the peaches turn translucent.
- Expect this to take about 1 hour.
- Stir frequently.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the cherries and almonds.
- Remove from heat and skim off foam.
- Bottle in hot sterilized mason jars and seal with prepared lids.