Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Use as a base for a vinaigrette, as a sandwich spread, or as a marinade. Or just eat it out of a dish with a pretzel, or a spoon.
- 2 ripe yellow peaches (Lady in Red, Begorra, or Faye Elberta for preference)
- 1⁄4 cup ground mustard
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds, ground coarse
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground garlic (or 1 small fresh clove, crushed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Peel and cut the peaches into large dice.
- If you need to grind the whole mustard seed, clean out your coffee grinder and pulse the seed two or three times until some is cracked and some is still whole.
- In a stainless steel or non-stick-coated pan, stir together all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, being careful not to scorch the sugar.
- Stir it down and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, over low heat until the peaches are very soft, about 1 hour.
- If the mixture seems too runny, simmer without the cover for ten minutes or so to evaporate some of the liquid.
- Pulse the mixture in a food processor until it is thick but not quite smooth.
- Let cool.
- Store in an airtight GLASS container in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.