Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
In Austria, every Cafe and Ice Cream Parlor serves Peach Melba during the sommer months. I worked in an Ice Cream shop in Salzburg in the 1960's, this is how we used to make it. Amarena cherries are available in Italian markets, they are dark red and have a slight almond aroma. Use real, only lightly sweetened whipping cream to garnish, serve with vanilla wafers.
- 4 -6 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 8 amarena cherries
- 4 tablespoons amarena cherry juice
- 4 halved canned peaches
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whip heavy whipping cream, lightly sweetened, to stiff peaks, fill into a pastry bag with a star tip, keep refrigerated.
- Select 2 crystal parfait cups or tall wine glasses, add 2-3 scoops of vanilla ice cream to each.
- Add 2 tbsp cherry juice as well as 3 cherries to each cup, for presentation make sure the cherries show.
- Use a tall spoon to lift the ice cream scoops a little so that the juice can reach the bottom of the cup.
- Cut two peach halves in slices and mound around the rim of the glass to fill in the gaps.Top off with a peach halve.
- With the prepared pastry bag, dot the rim of the cup with stars, put one star in the center and top off with a cherry.