Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe updates Peach Melba in a modern way - with a caramel sauce.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups sweet riesling wine (not dessert wine)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 4 large ripe peaches, halved pitted
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 2 (6 ounce) containers fresh raspberries
- SAUCE DO AHEAD: Caramel can be made 1 week ahead. Let cool completely. Transfer to a small bowl, cover, and chill. Rewarm slightly before serving.
- Sauce: Cook sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water in a small deep saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat and boil without stirring (stirring causes sugar crystals to form, making the caramel grainy), occasionally swirling pan and brushing down sides with a wet pastry brush to dissolve sugar crystals, until syrup turns a deep amber color, 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat; immediately and carefully add cream (mixture will bubble vigorously). Add butter and salt and whisk until smooth. Let cool slightly.
- PEACHES DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
- Peaches: Combine Riesling, sugar, and 2 cups water in a large saucepan; scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring to a boil.
- Add peaches; bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat, turning once or twice, until tender when pierced with a sharp knife but still holding their shape, 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Let peaches cool completely in liquid. Cover; chill until cold, about 2 hours.
- Assembly: Remove peaches from liquid. Working with 1 peach at a time, use a paring knife to make a small nick in the skin. Hold the skin between the knife and your thumb and pull off skin in strips; discard skin. Place 1-2 peach halves in each serving glass or bowl; top with ice cream and raspberries. Drizzle caramel sauce over.