Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
One bite of this double-crusted pie and you'll see why Peach Melba is a "classic": peaches and rasperries are such a delicious combination! you can also sprinkle on a little cinnamon and almonds - Enjoy!!
FOR THE DOUBLE CRUST
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco shortening
- 4 -6 tablespoons ice cold water
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 cups peaches, peeled, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups raspberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon butter
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- MAKE THE CRUST:.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, blend in shortening until mixture resembles very coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water and stir until dough forms a ball.
- Cut dough in half; wrap one-half in plastic wrap and set aside.
- On a lightly floured cutting board or counter, roll together dough half out into an 11-inch circle. Tansfer dough to a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan.
- MAKE THE FILLING:.
- In a medium mixing bowl, gently stir together peach slices, raspberries, and almond extract; set aside. In a small bowl, stir together sugar, flour and cinnamon until mixed; add to fruit and stir to coat.
- Tranfer fruit filling to the crust and dot with butter.
- ASSEMBLE THE PIE;.
- Roll out reserved dough to an 11-inch circle.
- Roll edges of crust under; then crimp as desired to seal. Cut several small slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Using a pastry brush, brush top crust with milk, then sprinkle with sugar. Bake 60-70 minutes, or until crust in nicely browned and fruit is bubbling. Cool pie to room temperature before serving.
Good but maybe better with a little less almond extract. I'd do 1/4 tsp next time. And maybe try a crumb top crust instead.