Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the local paper, a recipe made popular at the Rather Sweet Bakery in the Texas hill country. The jam and peaches are baked as a filling layer inside the scone...wonderfully different!
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In lg food processor bowl fitted with metal blade, process flour, 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder, and salt for 30 seconds.
- Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and add to flour mixture, pulsing blender until mixture is crumbly.
- With processor running, slowly add 1-1/2 cups of buttermilk through top tube; turn off as soon as buttermilk is added.
- If dough is beginning to get sticky, remove it; otherwise continue adding buttermilk, 1 Tbsp at a time, until it begins to form a ball and then remove it.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat dough into 1/4" thick rectangle (approx 12"x10").
- Spread a thin layer of jam lengthwise over half the dough.
- Arrange peach slices in a single layer over the jam.
- Fold plain dough over the peaches to make a 12"x5" rectangle (like closing a book).
- Cut dough into 8 triangles and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c sugar.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 10-15 min, until light golden brown.
- Makes 8 large scones.