Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This wonderfully moist bread has peach jam mixed into it and makes two loaves so you can freeze one for a later time.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the flour, salt, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer beat the sugar and shortening on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating one minute after each addition.
- Add the jam and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the pans on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pans and let cool completely on the rack.
I had very high hoped for this quick bread. Unfortunately, it lost it in terms of flavor. It was very moist, and sweet, but the flavors were not very discernable. If I were to attempt this again, I would try it with raspberry jam and raspberry exctract to try and perk up the flavor a bit. But overall, a very boring bread, and not really worth playing with. The recipe also only makes one 9x5 loaf- had I divided the batter between two pans, I would have ended up with flat loaves. The bread also doesn't "dome" if that is an issue for you.