Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
from the cookbook, Cooking for Madam by Marta Sgubin. Note, you can experiment with adding egg yolks and vanilla to taste - or a bourbon vanilla -
- 8 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 cups fresh peaches, peeled, seeded, and crushed
- 2 lemons, juiced and strained
- Scald the cream, then take the pan off the heat and stir in the sugar until it is dissolved.
- Stir in the peaches and any peach juice in the bowl.
- Add the strained lemon juice.
- Let cool. Then freeze in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Note from Marta Sgubin: I tried adding a little peach brandy to this but decided I preferred the pure flavor. If you like, you can try it, but don't add too much or the alcohol could prevent the custard from freezing.