Recipe by evelyn/athens
Wonderful when fresh peaches are in season!!! Churning and freezing time not included. From Confident Cooking.
Top Review by Buster's friend
Fabulous recipe - doubles well. I used 1/2 for peach ice cream as written ( 1 t almond extract) with lottsa big soft sweet & fragrant peaches & the other 1/2 for pistachio ice cream - 2 cups crushed salted pistachios & an extra 1t kosher salt. OMG they both were fabulous! Old folks to an 8 month old were gobbling the peach - everyone in between were all over the pistachio.
Thank you for such a keeper. Will travel with our ice cream maker for ever.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 lbs peaches, juicy, ripe, very aromatic (otherwise this recipe is a waste of time)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (not reconstituted!)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat cream in a pan until almost boiling; remove from heat.
- Beat or whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract in a medium bowl until thick and pale; gradually add the hot cream, beating constantly; return mixture to pan; stir over low heat 5 minutes or until mixture thickens; do not let boil; pour into a bowl, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface to prevent skin from forming, and leave to cool.
- Peel and chop peaches into pieces; place in a food processor with lemon juice and 2 tblsps sugar and puree; stir into the custard; process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.