Recipe by Little Suzy Homemaker
Yummy Peach Ice Cream from Gourmet magazine June 2008. Peaches can be macerated for up to 24 hours. Custard can be chilled up to 24 hours. Ice cream will keep for 1 week (if Ice Cream HOGS don't live at your house). Cooking time is chilling and Ice cream maker time)
- 2 lbs ripe peaches
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks, whisked together
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut an X in the bottom of each peach, then blanch in boiling water for 15 seconds. Transfer with a slotted spoon to an ice bath to stop the cooking. Peel peaches and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Toss with lemon juice and 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoon sugar in a large bowl. Let macerate, covered and chilled, at least 8 hours.
- Whisk together cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a heavy medium saucepan. Add cream and milk and bring to a boil over medium heat whisking constantly. Add yolks to in a slow stream, whisking constantly to temper, then pour mixture back into saucepan.
- Cook stirring with a wooden spoon, just until custard coats the back of the spoon and registers 170 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 1-2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a metal bowl and stir in extracts. Chill custard, its surface covered with parchment paper (to prevent a skin from forming), until cold, at least 4 hours.
- Transfer 2 cups peaches with slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Puree remaining peaches and liquid in a blender until smooth. Add puree to custard mixture and freeze in an ice cream maker, then transfer to a bowl and stir in reserved peaches.
- Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, about 2 hours.