Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This technique skips the ice-cream machine. It couldn't be easier, and the fresh peach flavor is astonishing. The texture should be somewhere between soft-serve ice cream, and dense, chewy traditional gelato. Depending on the sweetness of your peaches, you may want to add more sugar.
- 3 lbs peaches, peeled and pitted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone or 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche or 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- Cut the peaches into very small pieces. The smaller you cut them, the faster they will freeze, and the finer the final texture will be.
- Arrange the peach pieces in a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet and freeze solid, about 2 hours.
- Put the frozen peach pieces in a food processor with the sugar, and grind briefly.
- Add the mascarpone (or creme fraiche, or yogurt) and pulse until the mixture is smooth.
- Empty mixture into a small container, and freeze again, 20 to 30 minutes, before serving.
- If the ice cream freezes solid, simply process it briefly again before serving.