1 hr 5 mins
Sandy in Houston's Note:
My grandmother made the most wonderful fried pies in the world. It's been my regret that I failed to get her recipe. This recipe is by Emeril Lagasse and tho it won't be like Grandma's, I'm in hopes that it will be wonderful enough to give my granddaughter great memories of MY fried pies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced (frozen and thawed can be used)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting the work surface)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (plus extra for sprinkling the pies)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, diced and chilled
- 9 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled (plus more for frying)
- 4 -6 tablespoons ice water
- 1In a large saucepan, over medium heat, combine the sugar, peach slices, cloves, and nutmeg. Mix until blended. Bring mixture to a boil; turn down heat and allow mixture to simmer until the peaches are softened, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 2Using a slotted spoon, remove the peaches from the saucepan and place in a small bowl. Reserve 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the peach liquid in the saucepan and discard the rest. Return the peaches to the saucepan.
- 3In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and the cornstarch. Whisk cornstarch mixture into the peach mixture, stirring until combined. Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly to keep from sticking; mixture will be very thick.
- 4Transfer peach mixture to a clean bowl and chill for 1 hour, or until completely chilled.
- 5To make crust: Sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the chilled cream cheese and shortening and, working with your hands or a fork, mix until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time and gently mix until the dough begins to stick together.
- 6Form dough into a round disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 7Remove from the refrigerator and divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- 8On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough piece into a thin circle, about 6-inches in diameter.
- 9Place 1/4 cup of the chilled peach filling into the center of each dough round. Fold the dough over, making a half-moon shaped pastry, trim any excess dough leaving a 1/2-inch edge around the filling, and crimp the edges together with a fork. Chill pies for 30 minutes.
- 10In a large heavy skillet, melt vegetable shortening to a depth of about 1/2-inch. Heat the shortening to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with paper towels and sprinkle sugar lightly over the paper towels.
- 11Fry pies in skillet, in batches, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to the paper towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle the tops of the pies with sugar.
- 12Serve immediately with vanilla bean ice cream, or let cool on a wire rack and serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peach Fried Pies With Cinnamon Crust
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.2
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.9 mg
- Sodium 168.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 37.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g