1/1 Photo of Peach Fried (or Baked) Pies
Published in the local paper, this is a recipe from the Rather Sweet Bakery in the Texas hill country. Better than Hostess Pies! :o) If you prefer to bake your pies instead of frying them, directions are at the bottom.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 fresh peaches, sliced and diced into 1/2 inch cubes (no need to peel)
- 3/4 cup peach preserves
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Combine all filling ingredients; set aside.
- 2Combine dry ingredients.
- 3Add butter and work with pastry blender or hands until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- 4Add ice water; mix lightly to form dough ball.
- 5Divide dough into two equal parts.
- 6Roll out each portion (on lightly floured board) to 1/16" thick (slightly thicker than a tortilla).
- 7Cut dough out in 5" circles using cookie cutter, lid from 1Q plastic container, etc.
- 8Each ball of dough should make 3 to 4 circles.
- 9Place 1 Tbsp of filling in the center of each dough circle.
- 10Fold dough in half over the filling.
- 11Seal edges with a bit of water and crimp with fork.
- 12Pour 3-4" of canola oil in a deep frying pan.
- 13Heat on medium high until a scrap of dough sizzles and bubbles when dropped into oil.
- 14Fry a couple of pies at a time, approx 2-3 min/side, until golden brown.
- 15Remove to paper-towel lined plate, drain, and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- 16Pies can also be baked in the oven:.
- 17Grease baking sheet or line with parchment paper; preheat oven to 375°F.
- 18Make an egg wash of 2 Tbsp water beaten together with 1 egg.
- 19Place pies on the baking sheet and brush tops with egg wash.
- 20Bake 15 min or until golden brown; sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peach Fried (or Baked) Pies
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.1
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 826.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 7.0 g