Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From the Food Network website, recipe by Ellie Krieger. I used a whole grain breakfast bread with nuts and dried fruit and it was wonderful in here. I just made sure to weigh it out. I used nectarines as this is what is in season right now and readily available at the farmer's marker. I think any stone fruit would work. Also, my baking dish is smaller than 9x13, and it took twice as long to cook because it was so thick. It turned out delicious! Serve with maple or fruit syrup.
Top Review by Amy020
This was okay, but I agree wit a previous reviewer that the egg mixture needed more flavor - cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and a pinch of salt. It was fine, but not outstanding. Thanks for sharing, though - helped us use up some very ripe peaches. (With almond milk, it's 6 WW PPV per serving. With skim, it's 7.)
- cooking spray
- 1 large whole wheat baguette (about 8 ounces)
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups sliced peaches (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Slice the baguette into 1/2-inch slices and arrange the slices in a single layer in the baking pan.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss peaches with the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar. Scatter the peach slices evenly on top of the bread.
- Combine the remaining brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Uncover and bake for 40 minutes.