Recipe by ~Bliss~
Wonderful warm, with coffee, in the morning or with milk as a bedtime snack at night.
Top Review by Kenzington
It's a very rich, simple coffeecake - which is good! I thought that it would be a lot better if you were to use fresh peaches instead. You could really tell the peaches used in the recipe were of the canned variety. That's the only change I'd make. :)
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 (20 ounce) cansliced yellow cling peaches, well-drained
Directions See How It's Made
- I believe this came from Good Housekeeping centuries ago.
- 1 1/2 hrs.before, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 13"x9" baking pan.
- In large bowl, mix flour and next 6 ingredients.
- With mixer at low speed, beat until well mixed, constantly scraping bowl with spatula.
- Increase speed to high; beat 4 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl.
- Spread batter evenly in baking pan.
- Arrange peaches in row on top of batter.
- Sprinkle entire top with topping.
- Bake 45-50 minutes until light golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cut coffeecake into rectangles; serve warm.
- CAN SUBSTITUTE CANNED PEARS.
- TOPPING: In small saucepan over med. heat, melt 1/2 cup butter; remove from heat.
- Stir in: 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 tbs.grated lemon peel, 1/2 cup sugar. Form soft dough.