Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
In 2008 I entered this recipe in the Coloma, Michigan Glad/Peach Festival Bake Fest Contest. This heirloom recipe was a favorite of my mother’s and came from the South Bend Tribune, 1959. The custard is a very firm set and this pie does not run when sliced. I received a First Place in the pie category for this classic recipe. Canned peaches may also be used instead of fresh peaches. Drain canned peaches well. This recipe works well with fresh blueberries also.
Ingredients For A 10 inch Pie
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (use less if peaches are very ripe)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons margarine, or
- 4 tablespoons butter
- pastry dough, for a 10 inch double crust pie
- Melt margarine or butter.
- Beat eggs, sugar, flour and margarine or butter together to make custard.
- I usually beat this mixture for about three minutes using an electric hand mixer.
- Peel and slice enough peaches to fill a 10” pie shell three quarters full.
- Pour custard over peaches.
- Top with pastry, seal and cut a vent 0n top crust for steam.
- Bake at 400* for fifteen minutes, then bake at 350* for forty five minues.