Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From REVEL, Memphis Junior League Cookbook. No kidding--this recipe is fantastic--enjoy! PS--this recipe is easily doubled.
- 4 cups peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- nutmeg, whole
- Oven 350°F.
- Combine peaches, almond extract, and water. (If peaches aren't 100 ripe add a tbsp or 2 of white or brown sugar).
- Pour peaches into a 8x8-inch or similar sized pan.
- Using a food processor (or a bowl and pastry cutter) combine flour, sugars, salt, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup butter; combine (or "cut") until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle flour mixture over the top of the peaches in the pan, dot with butter pieces and grate fresh nutmeg over the top to taste.
- Bake covered at 350°F for 15 minutes, remove cover and continue to bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Let crisp stand for about 15 minutes or so before serving.
This recipe is good if you eat it right out of the oven. But it becomes soggy and not very palatable soon after. The topping needs to hold up better. Otherwise, taste is good...just plan on serving and consuming it all right away.
I split the fruit portion between ripe peaches and blueberries... it turned out great!! Everyone loved this, especially topped with vanilla ice cream.